Moretown, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Moretown was chartered June 7, 1763 before the American Revolution. It was first settled about 1790 a year before Vermont was formally admitted to the Union.
No one knows for sure how Moretown got its name. There is the old story that when Washington County was being formed and maps drawn, a large parcel of land was left over, prompting the response, “What, more town.” But this theory has a flaw. The town was named Moretown in the original grant in 1763.
Moretown is situated on the Mad River in the heart of the Green Mountain at an altitude of 620 feet. Moretown is bounded on the north by Waterbury and Middlesex, east by Berlin, south by Northfield and Waitsfield and west by Duxbury. The village lies in the extreme southwest corner of the town.  
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Moretown is Washington.
Washington District Probate Court
10 Elm St. #3
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 828-3405
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Moretown. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Washington County, website at this link.
- Fairmont Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Jones Brook Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Moretown Common Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Moretown Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Mountain View Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Saint Patrick Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Vital Records, 1903 -1997, can be found onFamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Moretown Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, deaths, and marriages, 1857-1997; indexes to births, deaths, marriages, ca. 1857-1930, Deeds, 1800-1852 and Town records, 1699-1935.
Moretown Town Clerk
Mailing Address: 19 Kaiser Drive, Waterbury, VT 05676
Phone: (802) 882-8218
Libraries and Historical Societies
Moretown Memorial Library
897 Route 100 B
Moretown, Vermont 05660
Email: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ↑ Moretown, Moretown Historical Society - http://www.moretownvt.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Moretown_for_brochure.pdf
- ↑ Town of Moretown - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/WashingtonMoretown.html
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:39.
- This page has been accessed 590 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More