Morston, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1601|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
MORSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (W.) from Blakeney. 
Morston All Saints is an Ancient parish in the Holt deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Sir Alfred Munnings wrote of the church: “…nowhere could an artist have found a church in a more peaceful setting; a place of repose, a place to dream in.” Famously he was painting a picture of the church on September 3rd, 1939, when Britain declared war on Germany.
All Saints Church is a Grade II listed building and the churchyard contains a Grade II monument to the Butter family dated 1839 in the W of churchyard.
All Saints is famous for its commanding aspect, its 1480 rood screen, its 15th century octagonal font (carved with the Evangelists and their emblems), and its lightning-struck (1743) tower and which contains a single bell..
The west wall is probably all that survives of a Saxon church on this site. The church stands on a Hill and served the agricultural parish; it now has a largely marine population serving the tourists taking boat trips to view seal colonies.
If you live in Norfolk or near Blakeney then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access online records at FamilySearch and other sites mentioned on this page. Additional records (microfilm and online) can be viewed at Family History Centers. Refer to Morston and Norfolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: email@example.com
Morston, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Morston, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
||1754-1837; 1754-1812 (Banns)||
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 478
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 4388o62.
Poor Law Unions
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Morston on GenUKI
- Morston All Saints on A Church Near You
- Stiffkey and Bale Benefice
- stained glass
- Church of All Saints Morston on British Listed Buildings
- British History online
- Morston on Norfolk Churches]
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 345-350. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014. Described as 'Stiffkey with Morston.'
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2015, at 01:53.
- This page has been accessed 2,140 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News