Moscow, Latah County, Idaho GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Moscow City Hall
206 East Third Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Archives and Libraries
Church History and Records
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
- The following are local congregations (wards) which existed in ___County, Idaho prior to 1950.
There are 7 Wards in Moscow meeting in 3 separate meetinghouses. For details on places and times, go to the website above, and type in Moscow, Idaho.
At the beginning of the 1960's all members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Moscow, and the surrounding areas including Potlatch, Troy and Genesee, met in the old LDS Institute building on Deakin St. at the edge of the University of Idaho. By the end of the 1960's growth in membership in Moscow and the University meant the dividing of the ward into the "Town" ward and the "Student" ward. The Student, or University ward as it was also refered to, was comprised mostly of unmarried students, who were only there for nine months, with the leadership called from the Town ward. It was during the mid 1960's that the local members bought land on the eastern edge of Moscow, along Mountainview Road, and built houses and then sold them to raise money to build their own meeting house because the Institute was to be demolished. The end of the 1960's also saw the end to the old Institute building which was demolished, and land was aquired adjacent to the property for a parking lot, and a new modern Institute building replaced it.
Many of the original records of church units are in the Church History Library in Salt Lake City. Many of the membership records covering these units from the date of their creation to about 1948 have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City or at its Family History Centers. Records from Moscow District ((1899-1906), Branch (1926-1942), Ward (1947-1948) are in this collection.
St. Marks Episcopal Church
111 S Jefferson St
Moscow, ID 83843-2859
First Presbyterian Church
405 S Van Buren St
Moscow, ID 83843-2940
St Mary's Catholic Center
732 W Walnut St
Genesee, ID 83832-9543
Records of the St Mary's Catholic Church in Moscow (1900-1965) have been microfilmed by the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah from records held in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise. These films can be viewed at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of it Family History Centers.
A listing of various churches in Moscow can be found at this website, along with location and contact information.
The Idaho State Archives in Boise has a collection of city, county, state and regional directories.
Short's Funeral Chapel
1225 E 6th St
Moscow, Idaho 83843
Asbury and Noah Lieuallen with 20 other families arrived in the valley in 1871. The Valley contained abundant grassland and availability of timber for building homes. Valley was first called Hog Heaven and then Paradise Valley. In 1875 the town was named Moscow. In 1885 the Oregon railroad & Navigation Company came to town which brought more settlers to the area. One year later the North Pacific Railroad reached the area.
Military History and Records
400 South Jackson
Moscow, ID 83843
email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Copies of issues of Moscow newspapers are in the collections of the Idaho State Archives in Boise.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,650 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More