Mwnt, CeredigionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A guide to genealogy in Mwnt, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
The redundant version of Moel y Mwnt and Mount can be seen in some older documents.
MOUNT (MOEL Y MWNT), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of TROEDYRAUR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3½ Miles (N.) from Cardigan. This parish, which is situated at the south-western extremity of the county, and on the shore of Cardigan bay, derives its name from a lofty hill of conical form near the church. At the base of this hill is a large sand bank, covering a great number of human bones, which are occasionally visible when the sand is scattered by the wind, and are supposed to be the remains of a body of Flemings, who, having effected a landing on this part of the coast, were encountered by the natives, and repulsed with great slaughter. The surrounding scenery is destitute of beauty, and the only views possessing any interest are those up the Vale of Teivy, and those extending over the bay, which is occasionally enlivened by the passing of vessels. The coast is here very bold and precipitous and the sounding within a short distance of the land is from four to seventeen fathoms. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, and situated near the sea, is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, but is not distinguished by any architectural details.
For more information see Mwnt at Genuki
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464305. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Mwnt at Vision of Britain
- This page was last modified on 22 January 2014, at 21:37.
- This page has been accessed 364 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More