Nepal GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Nepal ancestry, family history and genealogy parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Nepal is probably the country with the greatest range in elevation and annual rainfall in the world, with elevations ranging from less than 100 meters (300 ft) to over 8,000 meters (26,000 ft) and precipitation from 160 millimeters (6 in) to over 5,000 millimeters (16 ft) the country has eight climate zones from tropical to perpetual snow.
The mountainous north of Nepal has eight of the world's ten tallest mountains, including the highest point on Earth, Mount Everest, called Sagarmatha (सगरमाथा) in the Nepali language. More than 240 peaks over 20,000 ft (6,096 m) above sea level are located in Nepal. The southern Terai region is fertile and humid. (From Wikipedia)
Getting started with Nepal research
Nepal does not have a national repository for vital statistics of any kind. There is a movement in place to establish this as a national policy, and the following link provides some information on this activity:
The following two links provide some help for starting with Nepalese genealogy:
- (helpful tools and resources, gazetteers)
- (language dictionary, handwriting guide or tutorial, etc.)
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
(Your text or images here)
Did you know?
- Nepal follows a different calendar system than in the West. According to this system, 2002-2003 is Bikram Sambat 2059. The New Year begins in mid-April. Like the Julian system, there are 12 months, each month beginning around the middle of a Western month. Festival dates are, however, determined by lunar calendar.
- This page was last modified on 9 September 2015, at 03:40.
- This page has been accessed 6,104 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News