Nevada County, Arkansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a southwestern county of Arkansas. For other uses, see Nevada (disambiguation).
Guide to Nevada County, Arkansas ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Nevada County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 20, 1871|
|Address|| Nevada County Courthouse|
215 E 2nd St Street;
Prescott, AR 71857
This page adopted by Betsy Mills, Nevada County, ARGenWeb County Coordinator
Nevada County Courthouse
215 E 2nd St Street;
Prescott, AR 71857
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1871 and cemetery records; Clerk Circuit Court divorce and court and land records from 1871.
Government and Related Websites
|County-clerk.net (unofficial site)||Clerks have jurisdiction over birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, land use, land rights, real estate, and other court records. Site provides links to unofficial websites with online records|
|PublicRecords.com (unofficial site)||Provides links to County officials and public records|
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog'
from state and national resources
in Nevada County
(then click to names of people)
(Often more complete)
More cemetery lists
Land and Property
- Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas. Chicago, IL, USA: Goodspeed Publishing, 1890. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Nevada County was inhabited in the prehistoric and contact period of early European exploration by the Prehistoric Caddo and then by the Caddo Indians.
- 1803 - With the Louisiana Purchase, Euro-American settlers began to move into the region.
- 1812 - Stephen Vaughan and his wife, Polly, came up the Ouachita and the Little Missouri rivers, settling at a place on the Little Missouri later known as Janes Ferry.
- 1812 (after) - Vaughan was the first person in the county to be granted a federal land patent.
- 1850s - The flood of immigration in the 1850s accelerated the trend of land patents, which continued to the brink of the Civil War.
- 1860s - The area that would become Nevada County had only dirt roads and no towns of any size.
- 1920-2010 - Nevada County hit its population high mark in 1920 with 21,934 and has had a steady decline until this time (2010) with only 8,997.
- Maps of Arkansas (1813-1925)
- Family Maps of Nevada County, Arkansas Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Township and Township/Range Maps - Nevada County, AR
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battles were fought in Nevada County.
- April 3-4, 1864 = Elkin’s Ferry, also known as Okolona
- April 9-13, 1864 = Prairie D'Ane, also known as Gum Grove or Moscow
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Nevada County, Arkansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Nevada County, Arkansas Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Probate Records 1871-1922 Nevada County portion of the collection: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 : Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Bonds and letters 1872-1916; Probate records 1871-1893; Wills 1871-1922.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1871-1924 - Nevada County Marriage Books A-P Index 1871-1924 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1953 - Nevada County Marriage Books A-Z, AA-CC Index 1871-1953 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Nevada County Depot and Museum - http://www.depotmuseum.org/
403 West First Street South
PO Box 592
Prescott AR 71857
Phone: (870) 887-5821
Nevada County doesn't have a genealogical society at this time, but the Hempstead County Genealogy Society does have information about Nevada County.
PO Box 756
Hope, AR 71802
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. For towns, click here.|
|WorldCat||Click an item for libraries near you. For more information, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||Located in Indiana, they are heavily involved in digitizing much of their collection.|
|Arkansas History Commission Select the county||Arkansas state agency involved in organizing, digitizing, and maintaining the records of state and local history.|
Family History Centers
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
|genealogy.com||Nevada County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Nevada County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 69.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 18 March 2015, at 17:00.
- This page has been accessed 12,344 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More