New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index, 1862-1962 .
This collection includes records from 1862-1962. These records include a card file index of individuals residing in or near "Albertland," an area north of Auckland. The index was gathered from various sources including "Halfpenny scrapbook," "Passenger List from Auckland Museum Library," "Taylor scrapbook," "J. Grant clippings" and others. The index cards are arranged alphabetically by surname. They list references to obituaries, passenger lists, cemetery transcriptions, area histories, land records, newspaper items and source citations.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index, 1862-1962.|
Index records may contain the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Other relatives
- Birth and death dates
- Age at event
- Place of event
- Date of event
How to Use the Record
Obituaries from newspapers and magazines often add to information found in civil registration or church records. Cemetery records often list relatives of the deceased. Relatives may be buried in connecting plots. Land records often give additional family information, such as the names of a spouse, children, heirs, other relatives, or neighbors.
Search the Collection
To search by index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To search by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the “Surname Range” category which takes you to the images
Search the collection by looking at an image and comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the records for family members of your ancestor.
- You may need to search using an alternate or nickname.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- See the section Related FamilySearch Historical Records for more collections to further your research.
|FHL Place New Zealand, Auckland items or FHL Keyword New Zealand, Auckland items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see New Zealand Archives and Libraries.|
- Births, Deaths and Marriages Online
- Christ Church City Libraries (This website links to New Zealand libraries, genealogy organizations, archives of family histories, war databases and war graves commissions, and additional links to organizations and information sources.)
- The Story of Auckland
- Map of New Zealand 1910
Related Wiki Articles
- New Zealand Land and Property
- New Zealand Emigration and Immigration
- New Zealand Naturalization and Citizenship
- New Zealand Newspapers
- New Zealand Obituaries
- New Zealand History
- New Zealand
Related FamilySearch Historical Records
- New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- New Zealand, Central Otago, Cemetery Gravestones (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- New Zealand, Immigration Passenger Lists (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- New Zealand Vital Records Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index. ” Database. FamilySearch. https://familysearch.org: accessed 2015. New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index, 1862-1962.
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index, 1862-1962.|
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for New Zealand, Auckland, Albertland Index, 1862-1962.|
- This page was last modified on 28 October 2015, at 16:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,492 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News