Newcastle Upon Tyne Poor Law Union, Northumberland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Westgate hospital, a quadrangular building of stone, in the ancient Tudor style, was founded by the corporation, to celebrate the peace with France, in 1814; and in 1817 was augmented by 20 rooms. The Trinity almshouses were established by the guild or fraternity of the Blessed Trinity, which was originally incorporated in 1492, and was refounded in the reign of Elizabeth, in 1584, for the regulation of the pilotage of the harbour, and the erection of lighthouses on the coast. The buildings of the Trinity corporation comprise a hall for the transaction of business, a chapel, and two ranges of dwellings for thirteen aged men and thirteen widows; and the total number of brethren, including out-pensioners, is about 340. The Keelmen's hospital was founded in 1788, and is under the management of 21 guardians, who levy one penny per chaldron on the freight of all keels laden with coal at the port, and receive a payment of one farthing per chaldron on all coal exported from the Tyne by the owners or lessees of the mines. The buildings, which were erected in 1701, at an expense of £2000, on ground granted by the corporation of Newcastle, comprise an office, a club-room, and 60 apartments for the reception of poor keelmen. The Society of the Sons of the Clergy of the Diocese of Durham and Hexhamshire was instituted in 1709, and in 1725 was united with a similar institution for the deaneries of Alnwick and Bambrough. There are very considerable sums arising from various bequests, which are appropriated to the apprenticing of children, and as loans of money to young tradesmen; also numerous societies for the relief of the poor and indigent of every class; and benefit societies, comprising in the aggregate about 16,000 members. The poor-law union of Newcastle consists of the parochial districts of the town and their contiguous townships, with the exception of Cramlington; containing a population of 71,850.
From: 'Newbottle - Newcastle-upon-Tyne', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 379-389. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51171 Date accessed: 19 March 2011.
The Newcastle Union Workhouse replaced four existing parish workhouses elsewhere in the city. The first buildings were opened in 1839. The buildings were concentrated in the south-eastern corner of the present site and comprised Adminstrative Buildings and the Workhouse. The workhouse provided accomodation for the able-bodied poor. There were also wards for the sick, maternity cases and "imbeciles"; a residential school for children; dining hall; laundry; bake house; stick house and workshops.
Newcastle General Hospital grew out of the Newcastle Union Workhouse.
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?NewcastleUponTyne/NewcastleUponTyne.shtml
Parishes in the Union
Benwell St James, Northumberland Byker St Michael, Northumberland High Elswick St Paul, Northumberland Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicolas, Northumberland Newcastle upon Tyne All Saints, Northumberland Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew, Northumberland Newcastle upon Tyne St Anne, Northumberland Newcastle upon Tyne St John, Northumberland Newcastle upon Tyne St Peter, Northumberland
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 22:35.
- This page has been accessed 1,283 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News