Llannewydd, Carmarthenshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"NEWCHURCH, or LLAN-NEWYDD, a parish, in the lower division of the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (N.W. by N.) from Carmarthen; containing 867 inhabitants. . . The parish is situated on the banks of the river Gwili, and on the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Newcastle-Emlyn, and comprises a large extent of arable and pasture land, which is fertile and in a good state of cultivation. The court leet for the hundred is held under Earl Cawdor, at Bwlch Newydd, in the parish. . . The church, which was entirely rebuilt in 1829, is a remarkably neat edifice; and there are place of worship for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. About 50 males and females are taught in a Sunday school belonging to the Established Church, and about 60 in one appertaining to Methodists. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).] For more information see Newchurch, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:30.
- This page has been accessed 463 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News