Newfoundland Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, Using Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records (56000).
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can the records be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Marriage Index 1891-1892, Volume 01 records are found at Images 49-86. Images 1-48 are misplaced duplicates of death records from the Death Index 1891-1892, Volume 01.
- Births for 1871-1891 are found in the delayed births browse points.
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. How can I determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #2: In many browse points, the year range reflects the official volume dates based on the province’s archive standard and not the actual dates submitted by individual jurisdictions. The list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range existing in the collection:
- Birth Index, 1891-1892 Volume 02 corresponds to Births 1892-1895, Certificate Number 620001-634463 which is continued on the next record, Births 1893-1895, Certificate Number 634464-639686. An 1891 fire destroyed some records. A note found in Births 1892-1895, Certificate Number 620001-634463 > Image 2 of 38 contains an explanation about the salvaged records.
- Delayed Birth Index 1840-1915, Box 01-34 includes entries for
- Births 1861-1865, Box 02.
- Births 1866-1869, Box 03-04.
- Births 1870-1871, Box 05.
- Deaths 1891-1896, Volume 02 includes 1897 and 1898 records.
- Deaths 1902-1903, Volume 04 also includes 1904-1906 records.
- Deaths 1902-1903, Volume 04 and Deaths 1902-1906, Volume 04 together form a complete listing of 1902-1906 records.
- NOTE: The death records are filed according to certificate number and not are necessarily in chronological order.
- Deaths 1943-1943, Certificate Number 112863-113902 includes 1942-1943 records.
- Deaths 1942-1943, Certificate Number 114512-115039 includes 1935-1943 records.
- Deaths 1920-1922, Certificate Number 325343-331787 year span should be 1919-1922.
- Deaths 1945-1945, Certificate Number 105199-106653: The first certificate number should be 106199.
- Marriages 1896-1898, Volume 03 includes 1901 records.
- Marriages 1898-1900, Volume 03 includes 1896, 1897 and 1901 records.
- Marriages 1901-1903, Volume 04 includes 1901-1905 records.
- Marriages 1913-1916, Volume 07 and Marriages 1916-1916, Volume 07 together form a complete listing of 1913-1916 records.
If additional problems are encountered with the collection, you can report them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If browsing the collection: please include the full browse path you used to get to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the image viewer window.
- For example: Newfoundland, Vital Records, 1840-1949 > Births 1870-1871, Box 05 > Image 2 of 243.
- For technical issues: please include operating system and browser version.
Return to the Newfoundland Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Newfoundland, Vital Records, 1840-1949 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 1 June 2015, at 01:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,616 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News