Norwich St George Tombland, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Norwich St George Tombland, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Norwich|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Norwich St George Tombland is one of two mediæval churches dedicated to St George in Norwich, which may indicate a late foundation date. The ‘surname’ Tombland is from Old English words meaning ‘empty land or space’, referring to the site of the late Saxon market.
Norwich, parl. and mun. bor., city, co. town of Norfolk, and co. in itself, on river Wensum, 20 miles W. of Yarmouth and 114 NE. of London by rail, 7472 ac., pop. 87,842; 4 Banks, 9 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday.
Norwich St George Tombland, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS PRs = England, Norfolk, Parish Registers, 1538-1900 (FamilySearch) - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Norwich St George Tombland, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Images of the parish register are available on Family Search Historical Records
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438869.
Poor Law Unions
- registration events post 1837 may be searched online at Free BMD
There is a comprehensive web site for the church giving more information: http://www.stgeorgetombland.churchnorfolk.com
Norwich Historic Churches Trust http://www.norwich-churches.org/index.asp
http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk for historic photographs of the church
- ↑ John Bartholomew. John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Date accessed: 27 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- This page was last modified on 12 January 2016, at 20:32.
- This page has been accessed 3,098 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News