Olympic Peninsula Indian Agency (Washington)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Olympic Peninsula Agency is a currently operating agency of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, located at Hoquiam, Washington. Its supervising office is the Portland Area Office. It has administrative responsibilities for the Chehalis, Hoh, Lower Elwha, Makah, Ozette, Quileute, Quinault, Shoalwater, Skokomish, and Squaxin Island Reserevations.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Many of the records for the tribes under the Olympic Peninsula Agency's jurisdiction are in the Pacific Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle. They include records filed under the names of predecessor agencies, such as Neah Bay, Taholah and other agencies.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 30 March 2015, at 21:32.
- This page has been accessed 1,061 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More