Page County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Page County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Page County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
- Page County, Iowa is named in honor of Captain John Page of the 4th U.S. Infantry, who was mortally wounded in the battle of Palo Alto during the Mexican American War.
1847--Page County was created 24 February 1847 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Appanoose County prior to organization 22 March 1852. County seat: Clarinda 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1858 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- African American Museum of Iowa The heritage of African Americans in Iowa
- Family Biographies from The History of Page County, Iowa (1880) published by Iowa Historical Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- Biographical history of Page County, Iowa : containing portraits of all the presidents of the United States from Washington to at Ancestry.com ($)
- Iowa WPA Gravestone Project -- Nice name index for many cemeteries in Iowa
- Find A Grave has Page County cemeteries with some headstone pictures. If yours isn't among the photographs you can request to have one taken and posted.
- Rose Hill Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- An article about the Federal and State Census Records that exist for Iowa. Iowa Census
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Iowa Page County Recorder's Office has property and misc. records dating back to 1838. Genealogy research is not performed by the Page County Recorder’s office. However, this office has land and vital records that are open to the public.
- 1839 - 1875 Land Abstracts Andreas Plat Book 1900 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Law and Legislation
Local histories are available for Page County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Page County history, Iowa at Ancestry.com ($)
- Biographical history of Page County, Iowa : Chicago : Lewis & Dunbar, 1890. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, HathiTrust.
- History of Page County, Iowa: also biographical sketches of some prominent citizens of the county. By W. L. Kershaw. Chicago, Illinois : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1909. Online at: Vol.1 Internet Archive, Google Books, Vol. 2 FamilySearch Books Online, Google Books; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- History of Page County, Iowa : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc., a biographical directory, war record, history of Iowa. Reprint of 1880 edition published by the Iowa Historical Co., Des Moines. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, Hathitrust.
- The history of Page County, Iowa : from the earliest settlement, in 1843, to the first centennial of American independence, July 4, 1876, including a period of thirty-three years. By E. Miller. Clarinda, Iowa : Herald Book & Job Office, 1876. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
-  David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures. This Collection features the city of Shenandoah.
- Map of 1905 Page County, Iowa
- 1st Iowa Regiment Cavalry ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- WWII Honor Roll of Dead and Missing ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Regiments. Service men in Page County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Page County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
:- 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Page County, Iowa Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Page County Obituaries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Adair - Probate records.
- A Family Search article about the Probate Records that exist for Iowa. Iowa Probate Records
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
- Iowa, County Births 1880-1935 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa Births and Christenings 1830-1950 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa, County Marriages 1838-1934 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa Marriages 1809-1992 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1830-1990 ~ FamilySearch
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Shenandoah Iowa Family History Center 507 E Pioneer Ave Shenandoah, Ia 51601 Phone:1-712-246-4491 Hours T 1pm-4pm; W 7pm-9pm; Th 10am-3pm.; Closures: Closed the last two weeks in December.
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Lied Public Library
100 E. Garfield St.
Clarinda, Iowa 51632
Monday: 12pm-8pm;Tues-Thur: 9:30am-6pm; Fri: 9:30am-5:00pm; Sat: 9:30am-1pm; Sun: Closed
- Nodaway Valley Historical Museum
1600 South 16th Street
PO Box 393
Clarinda, Iowa 51632
Mondays: Closed Tuesdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday: 1-4 p.m. for May thru Sept. and 2-4 p.m. for Oct. thru April. We will also open by appointment at other times for people to research.
- Greater Shenandoah Historical Society
800 W Sheridan Ave
PO Box 182
Shenandoah Iowa 56101
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "page county" placed in search box|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "page county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "page county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|genealogytrails.com||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|Iowa-genealogy.com||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Page County, IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Page County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:23.
- This page has been accessed 16,264 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News