Platte County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Platte County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Platte County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 31, 1838|
|County Seat||Platte City|
|Address|| Platte County Courthouse|
415 3rd Street
PO Box 30CH
Platte City, MO 64079
Platte County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1883-1887
and death records 1883-1888; Recorder Deeds
has marriage and land records; Clerk Circuit
Court has divorce records; Probate Judge
has probate and court records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Camden Point
- Edgerton Junction
- Kansas City
- Lee Township
- Pettis Township
- Platte City
- Weston Township
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Camden Point
- Houston Lake
- Lake Waukomis
- Platte City
- Platte Woods
- Weatherby Lake
For tips on accessing Platte County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- 1847-1853 - Deister Settlement Catholic Church Baptism Index 1847-1853. Batch C515021 at FamilySearch - free.
Holy Trinity Teeleum Landeing, Weston
- 1847-1876 - Holy Trinity Teeleum Landeing, Weston, Baptism Index 1847-1876. Batch C515031 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1848-1885 - Holy Trinity Teeleum Landeing, Weston, Baptism Index 1848-1885. Batch M515031 at FamilySearch - free.
- Kansas City, Missouri City Directories, 1889-91 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Platte County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- William McClung Paxton's Annals of Platte County, Missouri, pub 1897, 1182 pages. A digital copy is searchable online using Google Books and FamilySearch (warning: downloads as a large file in a viewer). Also available as FHL 1000300.
- Kansas City, Missouri : its history and its people, 1808-1908 at Ancestry.com ($)
- A civic history of Kansas City, Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- History of Clay and Platte Counties, Missouri : written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources, including a history of their townships, towns and villages, together with a condensed history of Missouri; a reliable and detailed history of Clay and Platte Counties - their pioneer record, resources, biographical sketches of prominent citizens; general and local statistics of great value, incidents and reminiscences. St. Louis, [Missouri} : National Historical Co., 1885.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Landmark (Platte City, Mo.).Platte County : a special edition of the Weston Chronicle, Weston, Mo., and the Landmark, Platte City Mo., issued in connection with national cornhusking contest, held in Platte County, November 15, 1929. Platte City, Mo. : Landmark, .
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Platte County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Early migration routes to and from Platte County, Missouri Genealogy for European settlers included:
- - 18th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company G
:- 18th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company K
:- 3rd Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union)Edit , Company C
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
:- 39th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Platte County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827 - 1935 Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1851 - 1910 Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1850-1877 - Platte County Birth Index 1850-1877. Batch C515611 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1802 - 1969 Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1802-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1750 - 1920 Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1805 - 2002 Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805-2002 at [http://home.ancestry.com/
- 1850 Missouri Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1839-1882 - Platte County Marriage Index 1839-1882. Batch M515611 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Platte County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M515612 at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriage records of Platte County, Missouri, 1839-1855 at Ancestry.com ($)
- 1867 - 1976 Missouri, Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1834 - 1910 Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- List of Missouri Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Platte County Archives
- Platte County Historical Society
Northland Genelogical Society
Mid-Continent Public Libraries in Platte City, Weston, and several locations in Southern Platte County.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Platte City Missouri Family History Center 2700 Ensign Dr, Platte City, MO 64079 United States
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Platte County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Platte County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Platte County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Platte County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- This page was last modified on 30 March 2015, at 17:19.
- This page has been accessed 10,524 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News