Poinsett County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Poinsett County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Poinsett County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 28, 1838|
|Address|| Poinsett County Courthouse|
401 Market Street
Harrisburg, AR 72432
Poinsett County Courthouse
401 Market Street
Harrisburg, AR 72432
Court Clerk has marriage records from 1873 and probate records; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records.
County seat: Harrisburg 
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Poinsett County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Poinsett County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Probate Records 1873-1966 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Administration records 1873-1925; Dockets 1873-1875; Executor records 1875-1949; Guardian records 1873-1922; Probate records 1873-1896; Wills 1875-1966.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1873-1952 - Poinsett County Marriage Books A-Z, 1B-3B, 1C-1F Index 1873-1952 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1921 - Poinsett County Marriage Books A-I Index 1873-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Poinsett County, Arkansas Obituary and Death Notice Collection From GenealogyBuff.com ~ Free. Obits and death notices from the Trumann, Marked Tree, Lepanto, Harrisburg, and Tyronza areas.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||AR state agency involved in organizing and maintaining state and local history of AR|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 69.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 23 April 2014, at 18:24.
- This page has been accessed 5,674 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback