Polk County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Polk County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Polk County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
|County Seat||Des Moines|
1846--Polk County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. County seat: Des Moines
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
- I have photos of all headstones in the Oralabor Cemetery in Ankeny, Polk County, Iowa as of 2008. If you need one looked up please e-mail me at:E-Mail Me Please provide a surname, christian name and DOD if you have it.
- Glendale Cemetery, Des Moines BillionGraves
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Des Moines
Fold3.com ($) has Des Moines City Directories 1881-1913 (2 yrs. missing) and miscellaneous years going back to 1866 available online.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Polk County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- History of Polk County, Iowa: A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, etc.
Union Historical Company, 1880
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- View historic Polk County, Iowa maps in the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Township Map of 1875 Polk County, Iowa with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
Regiments. Service men in Polk County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Polk County, Iowa:
- - 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company D
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies A and K
- - 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 15th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
- - 16th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 17th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies B and K
- - 18th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company I
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies A, B, C and E
- - 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company F
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Iowa. District Court (Polk County). Naturalization Records, 1907–1927. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977. FHL films 1015201–17 item 2.
- Iowa. District Court. (Polk County). Index to Naturalization, 1852–1884. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977. FHL film 1015217 item 1.
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers that covered local news on Polk County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
Centers in Polk County, Iowa: (If no centers are listed, see Neighboring Counties)
- Des Moines Iowa Family History Center 3301 Ashworth Rd., West Des Moines, IA 50265 United States Location Map
- Polk County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Family History Library Catalog
- Polk County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- This page was last modified on 23 April 2014, at 21:21.
- This page has been accessed 4,900 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback