Pontotoc County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pontotoc County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pontotoc County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||9 February, 1836|
|Address|| Pontotoc County Courthouse]|
PO Box 209;
Pontotoc, MS 38863-0209;
Pontotoc County Courthouse]
Pontotoc County Courthouse
PO Box 209;
Pontotoc, MS 38863-0209;
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. Clerk Chancery Court has probate, court, and divorce records and land records from 1836. 
1836--Pontotoc County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Pontotoc 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
For tips on accessing Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- Men from Pontotoc County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pontotoc County.
- - 1st Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Miller's)
- Company B - Pontotoc Dragoons
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Polk Rangers
- Company I - Pontotoc Dragoons
- Company K - Pontotoc Dragoons No. 2
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company C - Reub Davis Rebels
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry (Harris's)
- Company A - Weatherall’s Company
- Company B - Wood’s Company
- Company C - Rye’s Compay
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - Pontotoc Rangers also Peery’s Company (county of origin not specified)
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company D - Wilson’s Company
- Company E - Mississippi Rangers
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G – Pontotoc Minute Men
- Company H – Coonewah Rifles
- Company I – Cherry Creek Rifles
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry (Ashcraft's)
- Company B - Fears’ Company
- Company C - Patton’s Company
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G -- Mississippi Volunteers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company F - Duncan’s Company
- Company I - McKenzie’s Company, aka Young’s Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pontotoc County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1849-1918 - Pontotoc County Marriage Books 2-9 Index 1849-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Center] for more information. Search the [https://familysearch.org/ask/help#localResource online FHC director for a nearby family history center.
- Pontotoc County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pontotoc County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2015, at 01:44.
- This page has been accessed 11,420 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News