Pontsticill, Breconshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Pontsticill is a village within the county borough of Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales. It lies within the valley of the Taf Fechan on the southern edge of the Brecon Beacons National Park.The village lies within the community of Vaynor [Y Faenor] in an area that was, until the local government re-organisation of 1974, within the historic county of Brecknockshire.  Pontsticill is closely associated with the Brecon Mountain Railway, a tourist railway which runs along the former Brecon and Merthyr Railway line. Immediately to the north of the village is the Pontsticill Reservoir which was completed in 1927. The village name originates from the Welsh words pont and sticil and signifies a 'bridge near a stile'.
1. Ordnance Survey Explorer map sheet no. OL12 Brecon Beacons National Park; western area
2. Hywel Wyn Owen & Richard Morgan, 2007, Dictionary of the Place-names of Wales, Gomer Press, Llandysul, Ceredigion
For further information see Y Faenor, Breconshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 4 February 2015, at 18:27.
- This page has been accessed 304 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More