Portola California Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Portola Family History Center is located inside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the small mountain town of Portola, California, in Plumas County. It is open during the week to serve anyone interested in learning about and researching family history/genealogy.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 683 West St Portola California 96122 United States
- Located at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints,
- Park on the right side of the building, and enter at the street-side front doors.
Closed all major holidays: Closed December Christmas holiday: May be closed any time during inclement weather, such as during snowstorms:
Calendar and Events
You are invited to attend a short family history class every Thursday in March. Classes are hands-on learning in the Portola Family History Center (683 West Street, Portola). You may want to bring your laptop computer or tablet, if you have one, to ensure availability and access, as our computers in the Center are limited. For more information, call Lynn McClure at (916) 247-4816.
Here are the dates and times. Everyone is welcome.
Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:00 p.m. Beginning a Journey – How to Start Using FamilySearch.org
Thursday, March 13, 2014 1:00 p.m. Finding My Past – Searching for Your Ancestors on FamilySearch/Family Tree
Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:00 p.m. Quick and Easy–How to Attach Sources in FamilySearch/Family Tree
Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:00 p.m. Say Cheese–Scanning and Organizing Photos and Documents on Your Computer
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Hardware and Equipment
- Five computers with on-line access to free family history research, including the church's FamilySearch.org, Ancestry.com, Fold3, etc.
- One black-and-white combination printer/scanner for free printing of family history/genealogy documents found during research; also for scanning of family heirloom pictures or documents.
- Two microfilm readers for viewing pre-ordered microfilms.
During regular open hours, this facility has available staff persons who can assist visitors/patrons in doing their family history/genealogy research.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
The nearby town of Quincy is the county seat, and has the county courthouse, which may provide some research opportunities.
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 27 October 2014, at 21:22.
- This page has been accessed 821 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More