Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911 .
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you.
Title in the Language of the Record
Portugal, Santarém, Registros Paroquiais
This collection includes Catholic Church records created by parishes in the district of Santarém. These records include: baptisms, marriages, and deaths. The text of the records is in Portuguese. The records are housed at the Arquivo Distrital de Santarém.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911.|
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Child’s name and gender
- Date and place of baptism
- Parents’ names and residence
Marriage records generally contain the following information:
- Marriage date and place
- Bride’s name, age, origin and residence
- Groom’s name, age, origin, residence and occupation
- Parents’ names
- Witnesses’ names
Death records usually contain the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Age, gender, origin and residence
- Date and place of death
- Witnesses’ names
How to Use the Record
Search the Collection
To browse the collection by image:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "District" category
⇒Select the "Municipality" category
⇒Select the "Civil Parish" category
⇒Select the "Parish" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Using the Information
- Use the age to calculate a birth date.
- Birth and marriage records usually give the parents’ names. Look for records of the parents.
- The same parish may include records for siblings or other family members.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
- Portuguese Genealogical Word List
- Portuguese Letter-writing Guide
- Learning Center Resources:
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who records in the same or nearby parishes.
Unable to Find your Ancestor?
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the records of nearby parishes.
|FHL Place Portugal, Santarém items or FHL Keyword Portugal, Santarém items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Portugal Archives and Libraries.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information (often called citing your sources). This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Arquivo Distrital de Santarém [Santaréem District Archives].
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911.|
- This page was last modified on 1 July 2015, at 00:48.
- This page has been accessed 1,648 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News