Providence Rhode Island Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Providence RI Family History Center serves the Rhode Island area. Many also use the Center from Massachusetts and Connecticut. The Family History Center has over 4,000 microfilms as well as microfiche from many countries. Our volunteers can help both LDS members and the general public in researching their family histories.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1000 Narragansett Pkwy Warwick RI 02888-4713 United States
- Park in back of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints building near the Handicap ramp.
- Walk up ramp and enter side door.
- Family History Center is the first door on the right.
Please note that if no patrons are in the library one half hour before closing, the center may close early.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Canada Drouin Collection, The Famine Immigrants (Ireland), many volumes of Our French-Canadian Ancestors, 3 volumes of the Royal Ancestry Bible, and many books on various countries. Plus how-to-search specific countries.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 6 microfilm readers, 2 microfiche readers, microfilm scanner to print or save to flash drive; and , copy machine/printer, 4 computers for online research.
Staff Research Specialties
Wednesdays, 10-5:30pm: Elaine can help in researching Italy and reading microfilm documents, as well as online research.
Georgette (Tues 10-2), Wendy B., and Carol (Sat. 10-2) have volunteered in the family history center for many years and are knowledgeable in researching many countries.
Resources in the Local Area
John Carter Brown Library, Brown University, 94 George St., Providence, RI 02906, 401 863-2725.
New England Historic Genealogical Society, 99-101 Newbury St., Boston, MA 02163 617 536-5740
Providence City Archives, 25 Dorrance St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 421-7740
Providence Public Library, 150 Empire St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 455-8000
Providence Public Library, Rhode Island Collection, 225 Washington St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 405-8005
Rhode Island Department of Health, Office of Vital Records, 3 Capitol Hill, Room 101, Providence, RI 02908, 401 222-2811
Rhode island Genealogical Society, Box 211, Hope, RI 02831
Rhode Island Historical Society Library, 121 Hope St., Providence, RI 02906, 401 273-8107
Rhode Island Judicial Records Center, 5 Hill St., Pawtucket, RI 02860, 401 721-2640
Rhode Island State Archivew, 337 Westminster St., Providence, RI 02903, 401 222-2353
Rhode Island Black Heritage Society, Arcade Building, Suite 65, Weybosset Street, Providence, RI 02903, 401 751-3490
American-French Genealogical Society, PO Box 830, 78 Earle St., Woonsocket, RI 02895, 401 765-6141
National Archives and Records Administration, Northeast Region (Boston), 380 Trapelo Rd, Waltham, MA 02452, 781 663-0130
Diocese of Providence, 1 Cathedral Square, Providence, RI 02903, 401 278-4546
Newport Historical Society, 82 Touro St., Newport, RI 02840, 401 846-0813
Supreme Court Law Library, 250 Benefit Street, Providence, RI 02903, 401 222-3275
United States Naval War College, 686 Cushing Road, Newport, RI 02841, 401 841-1140
Connecticut State Library, History and Genealogy Unit, 231 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106, 860 757-6500
- [http//sos.ri.gov/archives Rhode Island State Archives]
Supreme Court Judicial Records Center, Naturalization and Court Records, see Law Library above
Volunteer at the Center
This is a learn-as-you-serve center. We would love to have anybody who can give a few hours a week or a few hours a month volunteering in our family history center. You don't have to be especially knowlegeable, just willing. Those you serve with and our patrons will help you learn.
- This page was last modified on 10 August 2015, at 17:51.
- This page has been accessed 3,542 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News