Puget Sound District Indian Agency (Washington)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Puget Sound District Agency was established in 1851 at Steilacoom, Washington. It was located at Olympia, Washington during the years 1857-1861. By 1862, this agency had ceased to exist since Puyallup Agency, Tulalip Agency, Neah Bay Agency, Skokomish Agency and Quinaielt Agency had all been established.
Agents and Appointment Date
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
A small amount of correspondence and financial records for the Puget Sound District Agency, 1854-1861, are in the Pacific/Alaska Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Seattle.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 125.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Press, .
- ↑ Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 13:55.
- This page has been accessed 685 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News