Randolph County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Randolph County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Randolph County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Randolph County Courthouse
Asheboro, NC 27203
* Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
* Marriage records from 1800 and land records
* Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records
* Probate records from 1786
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Many court records are missing. For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- [German] German, John L. "Finding the Father of David German of North Carolina and Shelby County, Indiana," The American Genealogist, Vol. 68, No. 2 (Apr. 1993):87-94. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
The Randolph County, North Carolina Register of Deeds has deed records dating back to the 1780s. For example, typing in book 1 with no page number yields a listing of pages of book 1, even though the site indicates only books 1047-1173 are available. Images with page 0 are book index pages.
SOME INDEX POINTS. The deeds are not in strict order by date.
Book 4 starts about 1787.
Book 5 starts about 1790. It begins with an index. Book 6 starts about 1794.
Book 7 starts about 1795.
Book 8 starts about 1797.
Book 9 starts about 1799. No index.
Book 10 starts about 1802. No index.
Book 12 starts about 1807. No index.
Update as of 31 March 2014 :
- The Randolph historical deeds site requires Sun Microsystems Java. If you use the Foxfire browser, Java 7 may refuse to display records. It might be necessary to download Java SE6. This site is helpful: http://www.oldapps.com/java.php. Because Firefox is 32 bit even on a 64-bit computer, you will have to download 32-bit Java. Update 45 works. Click through all warnings when installing.
- Preliminary: Run javacpl.exe, the Java control panel and set it not to update automatically and to display the control panel.
- On visiting www.randrod.com/Historical.asp you will receive warnings from Java. Click through all of them. If the display balks during a viewing session restart the browser. When you are through with the old version of Java you might want to uninstall it for security reasons.
- Randolph County, 1779-1979 (1980)
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Civil War Confederate units from this county include:
- -2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry
- - 1st Brigade, North Carolina Reserves, Company F
:- 1st Regiment, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company F
:- 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry, Company F
:- 6th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company A
:- 6th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company D
:- 6th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company I
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Randolph County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1773-1964 - Will Books 1 to 25 (1773-1964) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Pre-1916 - Randolph County Births Before 1916 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Randolph County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 4394
Randolph County Genealogical Society website
Randolph County Historical Society
P.O. Box 4355
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Randolph County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Sandy Creek Baptist Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com/, accessed 22 October 2012.
- ↑ George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:227-228. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 11 June 2015, at 22:31.
- This page has been accessed 13,476 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News