Rhosllannerchrugog, WrexhamEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A guide to genealogy in Rhosllannerchrugog, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
Rhosllannerchrugog (formerly written in English as Rhosllanerchrugog) is a village, community and ecclesiastical parish in the County Borough of Wrexham, Wales. The community contains the villages of Rhosllannerchrugog, Ponciau, Pant and Johnstown.
The village was originally within the ancient parish of Ruabon and the district was referred to as Morton Above (i.e. Morton, or moor town, above Offa's Dyke) or Morton Wallichorum (the Welsh Morton). In 1844 Morton Above became part of the newly created parish of Rhosllannerchrugog.
The development of the village can be attributed largely to the coal seams of north-east Wales that pass beneath it, leading to the establishment of a large coal mining community during the 18th century. A symbol of Rhos' coal-mining heritage is seen in the "Stiwt", the miners' institute on Broad Street. This was erected and paid for by the miners, during the general strike of 1926, as a social and cultural centre for the community.
The Welsh Religious Revival of 1904 had a major impact on Rhosllannerchrugog. The famous bardic line Beibl a Rhaw i Bobl y Rhos (English: a Bible and a Spade for the People of Rhos) reflects the importance of both coal-mining and the chapels on the village's culture and heritage. The predominantly Welsh language churches and chapels impacted greatly on the linguistic and cultural profile of the area. One result of this is that although only nine miles from the English border and surrounded by English-speaking villages, Welsh is still spoken as a community language in Rhosllannerchrugog.
For more information see Rhosllanerchrugog, Denbighshire at genuki.org.uk
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 104270.
The parish of Rhosllannerchrugog formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2502 folios 266-378|
|1861|| RG9/4282 folios 64-74|
RG9/4283 folios 1-80
|1871||RG10/5653 folios 76-189|
|1881|| RG11/5512 folios 11-end|
RG11/5514 folio 124
|1891|| RG12/4612 folios 72-190|
RG12/4613 folio 1-153
- The following Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Records Office in Ruthin:
|Baptisms||1853 - 1906|
|Marriages:||1854 - 1930|
|Burials||1853 - 1920|
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Rhosllannerchrugog parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Rhosllannerchrugog parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following chapel records from Rhosllannerchrugog parish are available on the IGI:
|Bethlehem Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog||1810-1831||C101761|
|Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist ("Capel Mawr"), Rhosllannerchrugog||1810-1837||C101871|
The Registry Office was in High Street, Ruabon. Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosllannerchrugog are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Ruabon||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union Records
Rhosllannerchrugog was part of the Wrexham Union which was created on 30 March 1837. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.
- St. John's Churchyard, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
- Rhosllannerchrugog (Wern) Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Rhosllannerchrugog
- Mynydd Seion Cemetery, Chapel Street, Ponciau
- Soar Scotch Baptist Cemetery, Aberderfyn, Ponciau
The Clwyd Family History Society have published the Monumental Inscriptions from Mynydd Seion and Soar Scotch Baptist cemeteries.
A weekly bilingual newspaper, the Rhos Herald, was founded by Richard Mills in 1894 in Hall Street. A total of 3,737 issues were published from 18 August 1894 to 31 December 1966.
- Ordnance Survey map of Rhosllannerchrugog
- Rhosllannerchrugog Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Rhosllannerchrugog War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Johnstown War Memorial at Clwyd FHS
- Leaflet describing chapels of Rhosllannerchrugog
- Hanes Rhosllannerchrugog (The History of Rhosllannerchrugog) (1945) J. Rhosydd Williams
- Through These Windows, A Place and Its People (1981) Bill Portmadoc-Jones.
- Rhos-Llannerch-Rugog: Atgofion - Memories of Rhosllannerchrugog (1955) William Phillips
- Rhosllannerchrugog, Johnstown, Ponciau, Penycae, a collection of pictures (2 volumes, 1991-92), Dennis W Gilpin
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 00:17.
- This page has been accessed 5,016 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News