Rhyl, DenbighshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The town is divided into the four ecclesiastical parishes of:
- Holy Trinity
- St. Thomas
- St. John
- St. Ann
"RHYL, a township in that part of the parish of Rhuddlan which is in the hundred of Prestatyn, count of Flint, 2 miles (N.N.W.) from the town of Rhuddlan. ...This place, which is situated at the northern extremity of the parish, and at the lower end of the fertile Valley of Clwyd, previously to the year 1820, consisted only of a few scattered dwellings; but since that time, from the pleasantness of its situation on the coast of the Irish sea, along the margin of which some fine smooth and firm sands here extend for several miles, it has become a place of favourite resort for sea-bathing." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
For more information on Rhyl see: Genuki - Rhyl
|before 31 March 1974||Flintshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 28 June 2013, at 18:23.
- This page has been accessed 221 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More