Richmond County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Richmond County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Richmond County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Richmond County Courthouse
114 E Franklin St #101
Rockingham, NC 28379
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage records from 1870 and land records from 1784
Clerk Superior Court has divorce records from 1913 & probate records from 1782 
Register of Deeds
114 E. Franklin Street
Rockingham, NC 28379
Clerk Superior Court
105 W Franklin St
Rockingham, NC 28379
Phone: (910) 419-7400
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Some of the court records are missing. For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Chesterfield County, South Carolina
- Marlboro County, South Carolina
For tips on accessing Richmond County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Cartledge Creek aka Dockery's Meeting House, near Rockingham, N.C. Organized about 1774. Originally located in Anson County.
- Hitchcock. Constituted 1772. Edwards published a membership list dated 1772 in Materials Towards a History of the Baptists... (1772), 128. Originally located in Anson County.
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry, Company C
:- 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry, Company D
:- 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company E
:- 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company C
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Nathaniel McLean's Company
:- 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
Online Probate Records
- 1660 – 1790 North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 North Carolina Estate Files 1663-1979 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1665 - 1998 North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 – 1800 North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Richmond County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1782-1815 - Early Marriages in Richmond County, NC 1782-1815 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1783-1872 - Early Marriage Bonds Richmond County, NC 1783-1872 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1783-1964 - Richmond County Marriage Index 1783-1964 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1816-1914 - Richmond County Divorce Actions 1816-1914 at USGenWeb - free.
- 1958 - 2004North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Richmond Co. Genealogical Society
P. O. Box 1763
Rockingham NC 28380
Richmond County, N.C. Historical Society
Richmond County Historical Society
Inc., P.O. Box 1763
Rockingham, NC 28380
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Center] for more information. Search the [https://familysearch.org/ask/help#localResource online FHC director for a nearby family history center.
- Richmond County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Richmond County, NCGenWeb - free genealogical resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Richmond County, North Carolina. Page 512 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Cartledge Creek Baptist Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012.
- ↑ George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:225. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f5/Iginorthcarolinap.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 6 October 2015, at 18:07.
- This page has been accessed 9,621 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News