Ringgold County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ringgold County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Ringgold County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||February 24, 1847|
|County Seat||Mt. Ayr|
Ringgold County, Iowa Record Dates
1847--Ringgold County was created 24 February 1847 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Taylor and Appanoose Counties prior to organization 31 January 1855. County seat: Mt. Ayr 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
June 8, 1858 -- a cyclone blew down the courthouse. For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Liberty Township
- Middle Fork Township
- Mount Ayr
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Ringgold County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Ringgold City, Iowa 1844-2002 : from first settlement to forgotten community. By Raymond V. Banner. Mount Ayr, Iowa : R.V. Banner, c2002. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Ringgold County history, Iowa at Ancestry.com ($)
- Biographical and historical record of Ringgold and Union counties, Iowa
Regiments. Service men in Ringgold County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Ringgold County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 29th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 46th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
- - 29th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
:- 46th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
:- 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Ringgold County, Iowa Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Mt Ayr Journal. 1888 and 1897. Mount Ayr, Iowa, United States Of America. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Ringgold - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
- Ringgold County, Iowa Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Mount Ayr and Ringgold County area.
Societies and Libraries
Ringgold County Chapter Iowa Genealogical Society
204 W. Jefferson
Mount Ayr, IA 50854
Ringgold County Genealogical Society
% Betty Jo Ruby
202 Adams Street
Diagonal, IA 50845-1001
Ringgold County Historical Society, Inc.
Mount Ayr, Iowa 50854
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See [[Introduction to LDS Family History Centers|Family History Center] for more information. Search the [https://familysearch.org/ask/help#localResource online FHC director for a nearby family history center.
- Ringgold County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Ringgold County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Ringgold Co. IAGenWeb Project
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 5 October 2015, at 20:22.
- This page has been accessed 6,409 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News