Ruabon - Pigot's Directory 1835Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
RUABON is a township, in the parish of its name, in the hundred and barony of Bromfield, and county of Denbigh; 182 miles N.W. from London, 6 W. by N. from Llangollen, 5 S. by W. from Wrexham, the like distance W. by N. from Overton, 10 N. by W. from Ellesmere, 11½ N. from Oswestry, 15 S. by W. from Chester, and 54 S.W. from Manchester; situate near the north-western extremity of the county of Salop, upon a rivulet that discharges itself into the Dee, and in a district rich in iron and coal. No regular plan has been observed in the erection of the town, the habitations having arisen in proportion to the rapid increase of the population, interested in the mining operations, in which the inhabitants are wholly occupied. The church is a spacious edifice, consisting of a chancel and two side aisles: it contains an organ, the gift of Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, Bart., and several handsome marble monuments; among which is one of noble design and exquisite specimen of sculpture, by Rysbach, to the memory of the first Sir Watkin Wynn, the likeness of whom is said to be remarkably faithful. The living of Ruabon is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. David Powell, D.D., the eminent antiquary, was vicar of this parish, and dying during his incumbency, was interred here in 1596. The extensive demesne and stately hall of Wynnstay, imparts considerable consequence to this neighbourhood: the park is extensive and picturesque, and the views from the mansion are most enchanting. The Caerddin, in this parish, an ancient settlement, occupies about four acres of land, which is still encumbered with vestiges of old dwellings. The dyke, raised by Offa, King of the Mercians, appears close to this spot; and it was here that a fierce and bloody battle was fought between the English invaders and Owain Cyleileog, Prince of Powys, in which the latter was victorious: the prince to perpetuate the memory of this important conflict, produced the beautiful poem of 'the Hirlas Horn'. The parish of Ruabon, which comprises the townships of Christionydd, Dynhynlle Isa and Ucha, Morton above and below, and Ruabon, contained, in 1821, 7,262 inhabitants, and in 1831, 8,353, of which last number 1,341 were returned for the township of Ruabon. Individual names can be found on the Website or in the Source.
- Letters from LONDON arrive every afternoon at half-past three, and are despatched at the same time.
- Letters from WREXHAM, CHESTER, and LIVERPOOL arrive every morning at half-past ten, and are despatched at the same time.
- To CHESTER, the Nettle (from Welchpool) calls at the Talbot, and the Sir Watkin calls at the Wynnstay Arms, every morning (Sunday excepted) at half-past eight; both go thro' Wrexham.
- To WELCHPOOL, the Nettle and the Sir Watkin (from Chester) calls at the Talbot & Wynnstay Arms, every afternoon (Sunday excepted) at one; both go thro' Oswestry.
- Pigot & Co. Commercial Directory, 1835
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 22:08.
- This page has been accessed 905 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News