Saguache County, ColoradoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Saguache County Colorado genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Saguache County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|Address|| Saguache County Courthouse|
501 4th Street
PO Box 655
Saguache, CO 81149-0176
Note: Use the PO Box information to connect with county courthouse. This is a rural agricultural county and PO Box is needed for a majority of the residences and businesses in this area.
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1874.
Saguache County Courthouse is located in the county seat which is in the Town of Saguache, Colorado 81149.
The courthouse's physical address is 501 4th Street, Saguache CO and this two story building is on the south-west corner of 4th Street and Christy Avenue. As this is a rural community, mail delivery is picked up at the local post office.
The mailing address for Saguache County Courthouse is: PO Box 655, Saguache CO 81149
Administration phone number: 719-655-2231.
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Before 1861 the southern one-third of this modern Colorado county was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Costilla County).
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
- 1866 Saguache County was created 29 December 1866 from Costilla County.
For tips on accessing Saguache County, Colorado census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Local histories are available for Saguache County, Colorado. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Saguache County, Colorado newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Saguache Crescent - 316 4th Street, PO Box 195, Saguache, CO 81149; 719.655.2620 Publisher: Dean Coombs. There is no email or internet connection with Saguache Crescent. Either call or send mail to PO Box listed above.
- Crestone Eagle connection Crestone Eagle- 180 W Galena Ave, Crestone, CO 81131; 719.256.4956 Publisher: Kizzen Laki
- Center Post Dispatch on-line Center Post Dispatch - 835 1st Avenue, Monte Vista, CO 81144; 719.852.3531 • Fax: 719-852-3387 Publisher: Valley Publishing
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Saguache County, Colorado in this online database Archives Search.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
Saguache County Burial Records 1923 - 1925
Saguache County Poor Records 1915 - 1926
Saguache County Teacher Certificate Registers (Certificates of Like Grade) 1894 - 1914
Family History Centers
- Northern Saguache County Public Library
- Saguache Branch
Baca Grande Branch
702 Pitkin Street
Saguache CO 81149 Crestone CO
Telephone: (719) 655-2551
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the Family History Library Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
and then Saguache County proper with residents unaffilated with a township.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 101, Saguache County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 94.
- ↑ William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- ↑ Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- ↑ Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- ↑ Handybook, 98, Costilla County, Colorado.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- This page was last modified on 19 April 2014, at 00:44.
- This page has been accessed 2,990 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback