Sapperton, Gloucestershire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sapperton, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Cirencester PLU|
|Parish registers: 1661|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1578|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
SAPPERTON (St. Kenelm), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county of Gloucester. containing the Frampton tything, 585 inhabitants, of whom 315 are in the tything of Sapperton, 5¼ miles(W. N. W.) from Cirencester. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sapperton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|SAPPERTON PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288762.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 15-20. Date accessed: 15 January 2013.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 14 February 2015.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 2 March 2015, at 22:27.
- This page has been accessed 1,840 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More