Sargent County, North Dakota GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Sargent County, North Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Sargent County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
Location of North Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 9, 1883|
|Address|| Sargent County Courthouse|
355 Main Street South
Forman, ND 58032
Sargent County Website
Clerk of District Court has birth records from 1943, marriage, death,
divorce, probate and court records from 1909, burial records
from 1910 and military records from 1918; Register of Deeds has land
records from 1909
A portion of the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation is in Richland County. The remainder of the reservation is in Marshall, Roberts, Day, and Codington Counties in South Dakota and in Richland County in North Dakota.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about North Dakota denominations, view the North Dakota Church Records wiki page.
Havana Trinity Lutheran Church
- Records of Havana Trinity Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Milnor Lutheran Church
- Records of Milnor Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
United Norwegian Lutheran Church
- Records of United Norwegian Lutheran Church in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
When the United States acquired North Dakota, most of the land became available for homesteading or purchase from the federal government. For more information on this, see North Dakota Land and Property.
After land was transferred from the government to private owners, the registrar of deeds in each county recorded the land transactions in the form of deeds and mortgages.
Local histories are available for Sargent County, North Dakota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section North Dakota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sargent County, North Dakota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of North Dakota are at the county clerk's office in each county courthouse. See above for the address of this county's courthouse. Some later estate records are available at the North Dakota Supreme Court. The Family History Library does not presently have copies of probate records from North Dakota.
See the Wiki page North Dakota Probate Records for additional information.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: dockets, guardians records, administrators records, real estate records, personal property records, and claim registers.
The location of tax records of North Dakota depend on the type of tax. Some are at the clerk's office in the county courthouse, while others are in the state archive. The Family History Library does not presently have copies of tax records from North Dakota.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the North Dakota Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sargent County, North Dakota Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sargent County, North Dakota. Page 526 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 31 March 2015, at 09:07.
- This page has been accessed 4,537 times.