Scotland WebsitesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following Internet websites will provide easier access to a variety of Scottish genealogical records, including civil, census, church, and probate records, and research helps:
- FamilySearch(This website provides online access to searchable databases of indexed Scottish church and civil records as well as family trees. See FamilySearch Historical Records Collections below for more information.)
- GenUKI(This website directs you to other sites with helpful genealogical resources and databases for the United Kingdom and Ireland. It is organized by country, then county, then parish, and by topic.)
- Scotland's People (This is the premier website for Scottish family history. It is a government web site and is fee-based, but it is very reasonable and well worth the price for the amount of information you can obtain. It has searchable databases of civil, census, church, and probate records, as well as many helpful information and links to other websites. Click here for more information about this site.
- National Archives of Scotland (This website provides access to the archive's online catalogue and much helpful information and research tools.)
- National Library of Scotland (This website includes an online catalogue of the library's vast book collection and maps, including some viewable online.)
- Scottish Archive Network (This website provides links to the web sites of every archive in Scotland, as well as many helpful research tools such as a handwriting guide.)
- "RootsChat Scotland" (The UK's largest free forum for help with Scottish research, fully searchable by name and region.)
- Scotland's Family (This website directs you to other sites with helpful genealogical resources and databases for Scotland. It is organized by topic. Includes parish maps for each county.)
- Scotfamtree (A friendly forum style site assisting amateur family historians from novices to seasoned researchers. There are many experienced genealogists onsite who will make research an exciting and fun experience.)
- Scotland's Churches after 1700 (This is an excellent resource with small articles on places and people as well as other aspects of Scotland)
- Vision of Britain (This website provides access to Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland.)
- Rampant Scotland (This website provides links to information on just about every topic imaginable for Scotland.)
- Electric Scotland (This is another website that provides links to information on numerous topics for Scotland, and also provides access to Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland.)
- Statistical Accounts of Scotland 1791-1845 (The statistical accounts give great historical background information on each individual parish in Scotland. It is free to view if you click on the link under "For Non-Subscribers.")
- Stirnet Limited: Families Database: Index (unfettered access requires fee or significant data contribution; manually search index for surnames of interest)
- The Scottish Genealogy Society ( This website provides information on genealogical resources held by this society including access, etc.)
- The Heraldry Society of Scotland (This site provides information about Heraldy in Scotland and its proper use along with additional information)
- Internet Archive Library (This site provides birth registers from the Scottish Record Society)
FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
Online collections of indexed records are found at: FamilySearch.org
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Scotland Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Scotland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- This page was last modified on 11 March 2014, at 11:11.
- This page has been accessed 2,914 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback