Shaftesbury Holy Trinity, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
SHAFTESBURY, or Shaston, a borough and market-town, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Moncton- up -Wimborne, county of Dorset, 28 miles (N. N. E.) from Dorchester, and 101 (W. S. W.) from London, on the great road from London to Exeter. The town comprises the parishes of St. Peter, Holy Trinity and St. James, including the liberty of Alcester. The parliamentary limits extend into Wilts. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241344.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: 1848. Date accessed: 09 July 2103.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- This page was last modified on 20 February 2015, at 20:45.
- This page has been accessed 784 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More