Sherborne, Dorset GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sherborne, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Sherborne PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1585|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
Sherborne.-- market town and parish. with railway station, Dorset, 4¾ miles NE. of Yeovil Junction, 18 miles N. of Dorchester, and 118 SW. of London. (Comprising parts of Sherborne and Castletonpars.)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sherborne, Dorset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Sherborne, Dorset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241344.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 10 July 2103.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- This page was last modified on 2 June 2015, at 12:35.
- This page has been accessed 1,723 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News