Sheriffhales, Staffordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sheriffhales, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.]
|Hundred||South Bradford; West Cuttlestone|
|Poor Law Union||Shifnal|
|Registration District||Newport; Shiffnal|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1670|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
SHERIFF-HALES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shiffnall, partly in the Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Shropshire, but chiefly in the W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Shiffnall. There is a chapel of ease at Woodcote; also a place of worship in the parish for Wesleyans. 
For more information and records see Sheriffhales, Shropshire.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sheriffhales parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|SHERIFFHALES ST MARY PARISH (1557) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1670-1860 Marr 1670-1837 Bur 1670-1860
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Sheriffhales, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474612.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 74-80. Date accessed: 05 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 14 August 2014.
- ↑ Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 03:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,252 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News