Shrewsbury, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Shrewsbury was chartered on the 4th of September, 1761, by Henning Wentworth, governor of New Hampshire, under George III, to Samuel Ashleyand sixty- three others, only one of whom ever settled in town. Its organization was not effected until March 20, 1781. The town still retains its original limits except one square mile taken from Plymouth, Windsor county, and annexed to Shrewsbury, October 21, 1823.
The town maintained a relatively stable population in the 19th century. Census records indicate 1,289 citizens in 1830 and 1,235 in 1880. When the lumber industry declined, so did the population. According to 2000 census records, 1,108 people call Shrewsbury home.
Historical Photos of Shrewsbury and surrounding area.
Shrewsbury, Vermont -- Our Town As It Was, Dawn D. Hance, Academy Books, Jan 1, 1980.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Shrewsbury is Rutland.
Rutland Probate Court
83 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Shrewsbury. For location of cemeteries, see Cemteries of Vermont, Rutland County, website at this link.
- Colburn - Tabor Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Finney Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Laurel Glenn Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Northam Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Plumley - Page Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Shrewsbury Center Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Wilder Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
1. Shrewsbury Community Church United of Christ
1300 CCC Rd.
Shrewsbury VT 05738
Phone: (802) 492-3402
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005, can be found on FamilySerach (browse only images) at this link.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records in the Shrewbury Town Hall for the years 1771-1946.
Town of Shrewsbury
9823 Cold River Rd.
Shrewsbury, VT 05738
Phone: (802) 492-3511
Rutland Herald online at this link.
Libraries and Historical Societies
Shrewsbury Historical Society, Inc.
5419 VT Route 103
Cuttingville, VT 05738
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:38.
- This page has been accessed 741 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More