Sint Maarten GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sint Maarten Genealogy ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
See also Netherlands Antilles (dissolved in 2010).
Sint Maarten uses the euro as its currency; while Sint Maarten is currently outside the Eurozone and uses the Netherlands Antillean guilder, pegged at 1.79 per United States dollar. It is unknown if Sint Maarten will shift to the euro some time after the Netherlands Antilles dissolves.
The Netherlands built a colony 1631, but French and British settlements also built up. Spain captured the island in 1633, but sailed away in 1648. The Netherlands and France split the island in 1648. The French-Netherlands border on the island was contested and changed 16 times between 1648 and 1816.
- Philipsburg with 1,228 inhabitants and the capital of Sint Maarten
- Lower Prince's Quarter with 8,123 inhabitants
- Cul de Sac with 7,880 inhabitants
- Cole Bay with 6,046 inhabitants
- Upper Prince's Quarter with 4,020 inhabitants
- Little Bay (Fort Amsterdam) with 2,176 inhabitants
- Simpson Bay with 736 inhabitants
- Lowlands with 232 inhabitants
Simpsonbay, Madame Estate, Dutch Cul-de-sac, Dutch Quarter, Cole Bay, Oyster pond, South Reward, Saint-Peters, Pointe-Blanche, Middle Region, Cay hill, Upper Prince's Quarter and Lower Prince's Quarter.
Did you know?
The Netherlands Antilles was dissolved in 2010. Sint Maarten is now a "constituent country" of the Netherlands.
(Add text and/or an image here)
For more information about the Schools of Sint Maarten check out the School topic tab.
(Your text or images here, or use the table below:)
Things you can do
(In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
- This page was last modified on 7 October 2015, at 11:46.
- This page has been accessed 6,752 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News