Smyth County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 25 family history books and articles have been published about Smyth County's families.
- Main article: Smyth County, Virginia
Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Smyth County families include:
- Presgraves, Jim. Smyth County Families and History. Wytheville, Va.: Presgraves, . Available at Virginia Historical Society.
|Brown||Isham||b. c1793, res. Smyth Co., VA||37 Marker||
||Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study|
Smyth County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Alder] Taft, Kingsley Arter. The Descendents of Peter Alder (ca. 1788--Sept. 3, 1873) and Mahala Rickey (ca. 1795--1860's). Knoxville, Tenn.: K. Taft, [199-?]. FHL Collection
- [Asbury] Holtzclaw, B.C. "Asbury of Westmoreland County, Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jul. 1967):55-65; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1967):77-87; Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan. 1968):10-26. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Bishop] Carter, Kevin W. "Six Newly Discovered Children of Levi and Ruth Bishop of St. Clairs Bottom, Virginia," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 26, No. 2 (Apr./June 1984):58-60. FHL Book 976.9 B2kg v. 26 (1984).
- [Bishop] Roseberry, Greg E. The Elbert Howell -- Bertha Burnop Family of Floyd, Smyth, and Montgomery Counties, Virginia: Including the Burnop, Duncan, Fischbach, Hanks, Heimbach, Holtzclaw, Howell, Hylton, Morricle, Otterbach, Pratt, Stuell, Vaughan, and Weddle Families. Lincoln, Nebraska: Writers Club Press, c2002. FHL Collection
- [Burnop] See Bishop.
- [Catron] See Alder.
- [Cole] Smith, Patricia Ruth. Dawn to Dusk, American Ancestry of Andrew F. Cole and Acenith A. Bishop. Red Deer, Alberta, 1977.
- [Colley] Boardman, Elizabeth Joye Mabe. Thomas Colley Family: Russell County, Virginia; Washington County, Virginia; Dickenson County, Virginia; Buchanan County, Virginia; Smyth County, Virginia. [Palm Coast, Fla.]: J. Boardman, 2001. FHL Collection; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Copenhaver] Copenhaver, Mildred Manton, Robert Madison Copenhaven, and Robert Madison Copenhaver Memorial Committee. The Copenhaver Family History of Smyth county, Virginia: A Family Record of Some of the Descendants of Frederick Copenhaver. Marion, Virginia: Robert Madison Copenhaver Memorial Committee, c1981. FHL Collection; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- [Cox] Franklin, Carlotta Sanders. The Cox/Sexton Chronicles. n.p.: C.S. Franklin, 1999. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Crabtree] Fritz, Arah Harriet Ovanda Miller. "The Crabtrees of Southwest Virginia. Chapter X, The Saltville Crabtrees 175 Years Later," The Appalachian Quarterly: People, Places, History, Heritage, Vol. 6, No. 1 (2001):42-47. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Smyth County Duncans.
- [Forester] Forester, James L. "The Family Register of the Rev. David Forester of Greene Co., Tennessee," Bulletin of the Watauga Association of Genealogists, Vol. 14, No. 2 (1985):125-130.
- [Geer] Noble, Zola Troutman. "An Ordinary Woman: Sarah A. Geer McIntyre of Saltville, Virginia," Smithfield Review: Studies in the History of the Region West of the Blue Ridge, Vol. 11 (2007):51-76. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Gillespie] Trimble, David B. Buchanan and Gillespie of Southwest Virginia. Austin, Texas: D.B. Trimble, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Gollehon] Sturgill, Kenneth L. A Southern Family in the Civil War. n.p.: K.L. Sturgill, 1993. FHL Collection
- [Harman] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Johnson] Yates, William Allen. Johnson Genealogy: Descendants of George W. Johnson of Scott County, Virginia and Rockcastle County, Kentucky and Descendants of Benjamin Johnson of Smyth County, Virginia. Stevensville, Montana: W.A. Yates, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Kestner] Hockett, Thomas Jack and Janice M. Snead. Kestner, Kästner, Kaestner, Kesner, Kisner, Kissner, Kesnor, Casnor, Casner, Cisner, Etc., Family - Washington and Smith Counties, VA: (With Emphasis on the Family of Rachel Kestner m. Oliver Snead). St. Davids, Pa.: T.J. Hockett, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Ketron] See Alder.
- [McIntyre] Noble, Zola Troutman. "An Ordinary Woman: Sarah A. Geer McIntyre of Saltville, Virginia," Smithfield Review: Studies in the History of the Region West of the Blue Ridge, Vol. 11 (2007):51-76. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Smyth County appears in Vol. 2 Part 4]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Smythe [sic] County appears in Vol. 2]
- [Poston] Hockett, Thomas Jack. Some Descendants of John Poston of England: The Poston/Posten/Pasten/Paston Family in Washington County and Smyth County, Virginia. St. Davids, Pa.: J. Hockett, 1994. FHL Collection; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Richardson] Blanck, Marilyn Mullinix. Searching for Buckeye Billy's Roots: An Exhaustive Attempt to Search Out the Background of William Richardson of Smyth County, Virginia, with Pointers Toward the Origins of Many Other Richardson Families of Virginia, Tennessee and Other Southern States. Alhambra, Ca.: M.M. Blanck, 2010. FHL Collection
- [Scott] Thomas, LaVerne and Kay Lee Wrage Gunn. The Scotts of Southwest Virginia: Descendants of the James & Rachel Scott of Wythe/Smyth County and Ten Other Early Lines. 3 vols. Marion, Virginia: Dean Tucker Printing, c1999. FHL Collection; digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online: Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3 - all free.
- [Senter] MacDonald, Edgar. "The Descendants of Stephen Senter of Cumberland Co., N.C., and Sons William and Henry: An Attempt to Identify the Children of William," North Carolina Genealogical Journal, Vol. 31, No. 2 (May 2005):166-172. FHL Book 975.6 B2j.
- [Sexton] Franklin, Carlotta Sanders. The Cox/Sexton Chronicles. n.p.: C.S. Franklin, 1999. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Spratt] Buchanan, Paul C. "The Spratt Family of Southwest Virginia Prior to 1800," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):297-305. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988).
- [Stamper] Greer, Sadie Mae Stamper. The Stampers: Looking Back. [Chilhowie, Va.: S.S. Greer], 1999. FHL Book 929.273 St23g.
- [Tilson] Bicentennial Register of The Society of Mayflower Descendants in the District of Columbia, 1978. Washington, D.C., 1976.
- [Tilson] Alderman, Pat. Tilson Grist Mill, Mountain Folklore Genealogy. Johnson City, Tenn.: The Overmountain Press, 1981. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 T469a.
- [Wimer] Weimer, Robert E., Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, New Mexico), and Mary W. Dixon. The Weimer Family: As Known to 1974 [and Beyond]. Multi-volume. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1975-. FHL Collection; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 19:36.
- This page has been accessed 3,579 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More