Society of Australian GenealogistsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The society was established in 1932 and is considered the oldest society of its kind in Australia. They have about 5,000 members from around the world and are incorporated under Australia's Corporation Law as a non-profit company.
The prinicipal object is the advancement of genealogical education which is reflected through their activity programs and the size of their collections.
- SAG Headquarters -120 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
- Telephone: 02 9247 3953
- Library - Level 2, 379 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
- Telephone: 02 9299 5151 (During library hours)
- Library Hours:Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday from 10 am to 4pm
- Website: http://www.sag.org.au
The primary records and/or manuscript materials are housed at the Richmond Villa, 120 Kent St., Sydney, NSW. All seminars and lecture programs are also held at the Richmond Villa. Directions are available here.
The library and bookshop is located at 2/379 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW and slightly closer to Town Hall than Wynyard railway station. Directions are available on their site here.
The library collection includes the following:
- Family Histories and Biographies
- Local and School Histories
- BMD Indexes for all states of Australia, New Zealand, England Wales and other countries
- Cemetery indexes and transcriptions
- Shipping Records
- Probate Indexes for many states of Australia and for England and Wales (1858-1943)
To view the whole list visit their library collection webpage here.
They do accept donations, to view the form, click here and use their main mailing address of 379 Kent Street to sent by post.
They have an extensive collection of Research Guides. It starts with Adoptions and runs through to Ships and Voyages, click here to view the whole list and secure a copy.
As an education facility, they keep an event calendar on their website with a current list of upcoming speakers. It is a simple monthly calendar which can be moved forward or backward. To view their event listing go here.
Publications Available For Sale
Their bookshop is located on Level 2 at 379 Kent Street, NSW 2000 and is open during the regular library hours. Here is the link to their online shop.
- Family Tree Maker Users Group
- Irish Research Group
- English Research Group
- South Asia Reearch Group
- The Master Genealogist (TMG) Sydner User Group
- AUS-SAG Rootsweb mailing list
- Australian War Memorial
- Facebook Page
- National Archives of Australia
- NSW State Archives
- Northern Territory Archives
- Queensland State Archives
- SAG-E Newsletter
- South Australia Achives
- Tasmania Archives
- Victoria State Archives
- Western Australia State Archives
- This page was last modified on 23 September 2013, at 10:10.
- This page has been accessed 675 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News