Society of Friends (Quakers) in the United StatesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
History in the United States
Members of the Society of Friends (often referred to as Quakers) began immigrating from England, Wales, and Germany in the late 1600s. A large group of Quakers settled near Philadelphia. By 1700 the Society gained considerable influence in most of the New England and middle-Atlantic colonies. Quaker migration to the southern colonies, especially North Carolina, continued until the Revolutionary War when the strength of the Society began to decline. Many Quakers left the southern states and migrated primarily to Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Canada.
Society of Friends (Quaker) Church Records
Types of Church Records
Most Quaker records include births, marriages and deaths as well as certificates of removal when a member moved from one congregation (meeting) to another.
- Berry, Ellen Thomas and David Allen. Our Quaker Ancestors : finding them in Quaker records. Baltimore, Maryland : Genealogical Pub. Co., c1987. FHL Collection Book 973 D27bq Worldcat entry Free to view at books.google.com
Where they are Located
Quakermeetings.com is a website devoted to recording information concerning all Quaker congregations (meetings)which have existed in America, including the date of the first and last meeting, where records are kept and subordinate congregations. A valuable resource!
- Orthodox Records
A few images showing the Quaker and Special Collections at Haverford College and a very small sampling of records available.
- Hicksite Records
A few images showing the Friends Historical Library at Swarthmore College and a small sampling of records available.
A few images showing the Friends Historical Collection at Guilford College and a very small sampling of records available.
Cyndi's List - Quaker
Lists Major Collections and other resources
Guides to Records
- Hinshaw, William Wade. Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy. Six Volumes. www.erhs.info Ann Arbor, Michigan: Edwards Brothers, 1936-1950. FHL Collection Book 973 D2he]; FHL Collection Film 432597-606; FHL Collection Fiche 6051371-79. Worldcat entry
- Hill, Thomas C. Monthly Meetings in North America: An Index. Second Edition. Cincinnati, Ohio: N.p., 1993. FHL Collection Book 973 K22h 1998; FHL Collection film 1698282 item 11. Alphabetical by monthly meeting. Gives address and sometimes location of records. worldcat entry
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 05:16.
- This page has been accessed 6,784 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News