Somerset Place NamesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Status of being the County Town of Somerset has changed many times through history.
- Ilchester During the 11th and 12th century.
- Somerton During the late 13th century
- Taunton took over the status of the county town of somerset in about 1366.
Excamples of Places named from geographic features
- Many places in the County of Somerset have names from rivers or roads. The rivers and road where important trade routes for importing and exporting goods.
- Taunton is the county town and it gets its name from 'Town on the river or Tone Town'. A list of places can be found in Wikipedia.
- Axbridge the name is suggested to come from a bridge over the river Ax. This was named in about the 9th century.
- North Petherton the name comes from the area location to the north of the river Perret
- Ilminster the name is suggested to come from old english meaning " Church on the river Isle ".
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:44.
- This page has been accessed 822 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More