Somerset TaxationEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The taxes of Somerset can fall under one of these category's :
- Probate Taxes ( these are taxes after death) .
- In 1692 the British government instituted another innovative scheme to increase revenue which came to be known as the land tax .
- The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 placed the responsibility for the care of the poor in England and Wales, from 1834 onward, on Poor Law Unions. The Poor Law Unions and their workhouses took over this responsibility from the Church of England parishes. Prior to 1834 a few parishes or collections of parishes had established a few workhouses to help relieve the poor and provide indoor relief in the form of food, clothes and shelter.
- For a National overview of English taxes
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 23:44.
- This page has been accessed 633 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More