South Africa, Western Cape, Estate Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: South Africa, Western Cape, Estate Files, 1966-2004 .
This collection will include records from 1966-2004.
These records include images of copies of primary genealogical records such as death notices, marriage certificates, birth certificates, and wills, from the probate estate files located in the Master of the High Court Offices in Cape Town. This collection is being published as images become available.
Estate files may contain the following information:
- Place of residence
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Names of witnesses
- Name of spouse
- Marital status
- Name of deceased's father
- Name of deceased's mother
- Parent's date of death
- Full names of children
- Children's date of death
- Spouse's date of death
How to Use the Record
To search this collection, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Approximate year of death
- Place of death
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image,
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒Select the appropriate "Year"
⇒Select the appropriate "File Number" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding content.
- South Africa National Archives
- Estate Files, Cape Province, 1952 partial
- Western Cape Archives and Records Service
- TANAP Overview of Western Cape Archives and Records Service
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “South Africa, Western Cape, Estate Files, 1966-2004.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Western Cape Records and Archive Services. Master of the High Court Offices, Cape Town.
- This page was last modified on 12 December 2013, at 21:31.
- This page has been accessed 542 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More