South Bend Indiana Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Center Contacts and Hours
930 Park Place
Mishawaka, IN 46545
The entrance to the Family History Center is located on the southeast side of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Meetinghouse
- Tuesday: 12:00pm - 7:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- All holidays
- December 24th-January 1st
- When surrounding schools are closed due to weather the Family History Center will also be closed.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog, from Salt Lake Library distribution. We have over 1900 films in our own Inventory. Plus another 1,000 or so fiche.
There is a $7.50 charge to cover the shipping to and from our FHC. This allows a patron to view the film for 90 days. If they find 90 days is not enough time, they can renew the film for an additonal 60 days for another $7.50 to have the Microfilm for an Extended loan with no defined return date ,if someone wants to to keep the film here who initially ordered it. Or they can pay the $16.50 up front, and when the film comes in we add it to our Inventory at that time.
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to Premium Family History software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Such as the following web sites.
•19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
•Access Newspaper Archive
•Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War:
Research Database | Letters and Diaries | Images, Photographs, Posters, and Ephemera
- •Find My Past
•Fold3.com (Previously known as Footnote.com)
•Genline FamilyFinder *.
•Godfrey Memorial Library
•Heritage Quest Online
•Historic Map Works Library Edition
•World Vital Records
- Hardware and Equipment: We have seven computers with access to the above sites, with the ability to print or save to a flash drive the information you find and want to keep. We have five film readers along with one Cannon Scanner that allows you to scan documents you find on any of the films you may have ordered. We are working on adding another scanning device that will be able to take a picture of an image from the readers. This will be of great benefit to our patrons. Now we have a 1 hour time limit on the Cannon Scanner, this allows more patrons time to copy the documents, rather then having to transcribe the information.
Staff Research Specialties
We have several consultants who specialize in Hungary, Poland, German, and England research. Also one who is very good searching Military Records. Once you have an initial contact with them, you can set up appointments with them, at no charge. We do ask $.10 a copy if you make a hard copy of your records, other than that everything here is free of charge.
Resources in the Local Area
The Mishawaka Penn Harris Public Library, located at 209 Lincoln Way East, Mishawaka, (574) 259-5277, with branches at: 602 Bittersweet Rd, Mishawaka (574) 259-0392, and 51446 Elm Rd. Granger (574) 271-3179.
The St.Joseph County Public Library, 304 South Main St.South Bend, IN (574) 282-4621
The Allen County Public Library, in Ft. Wayne, IN (260) 421-1200
Volunteer at the Center
Anyone can be a volunteer at our Family History Center. You don't have to be an expert at doing research or on how to use a computer. We would be glad to have anyone who has a couple of hours during any of the days we are open.
- This page was last modified on 31 August 2015, at 15:08.
- This page has been accessed 2,796 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News