Spain, Cantabria, Passports (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Spain, Cantabria, Passports, 1785-1863 .
Title in the Language of the Record
España, Cantabria, Pasaportes
This collection contains copies of original passport register books and passport application files housed at the Archivo Histórico Provincial de Cantabria in Santander, Spain. Some of the passports were issued for internal use in Spain (salvoconductos or pasaportes para el interior), and others were issued to travel from Spain to other countries (pasaportes para el extranjero or ultramar).
The records are in Spanish; see the section "For Help Reading these Records" for access to translation helps.
This collection is being published as images become available.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Spain, Cantabria, Passports, 1785-1863.|
Passport records may contain the following information:
- Name of the traveler
- Date and place issued
- Family members also traveling
- Birth place
- Physical description of traveler
The date of the register will be on the first page of the register.
Passport registers may contain the following:
- Name(s) of traveler(s)
- Nationality/country of origin
- Where passport was issued
- When passport was issued
- Date and place of arrival
- Date and place of departure
How to Use the Record
Use these records to document your ancestor's movements from place to place. Keep in mind that your ancestor may have been traveling on business, vacationing, or, in fact, moving.
See the sections below for tips and uses for searching and finding the record of your ancestor in this collection and using the information in the record.
If you are unable to find a record for your ancestor in this collection, see the corresponding section below.
Search the Collection
To search by image:
To search the collection, you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "Province" category
⇒ Select the "Type and Year" category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image, comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Using the Information
- Use the age to calculate a birth year.
- The location of where a passport may be close to that person's original home province.
- Use the birth date/year and the nationality/departure location to search for civil Spain Civil Registration - Vital Records and/or church records Spain Catholic Church Records.
- Check other immigration records for more information regarding your ancestor's movements Spain Emigration and Immigration.
Tips to Keep in Mind
When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Just because the person had a passport doesn’t necessarily mean they followed through with their travel plans.
Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived in the same area or a nearby area.
- Spain Research Outline
- Información Contacto del Archivo Histórico Provincial de Cantabria
- Información del Archivo Histórico Provincial de Cantabria
Related Wiki Articles
- Spain, Cantabria, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain, Diocese of Santander, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain, Catastro de Ensenada (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain, Consular Records of Emigrants (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Spain, Records of Widows and Orphans of Spanish Officers (FamilySeach Historical Records)
- Spain Archives
- Spain Census
- Spain Civil Registration - Vital Records
- Spain Military Records
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citation for This Collection
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Spain, Cantabria, Passports, 1785-1863.|
- “Spain, Cantabria, Passports, 1785-1863.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Arquivo Histórico Provincial de Cantabria, Santander, Spain.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2015, at 16:26.
- This page has been accessed 1,210 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News