Spain, Province of Castellón, Municipal Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Spain, Province of Castellón, Municipal Records, 1732-1952 .
Title in the Language of the Record
España, Provincia de Castellón, Registros Municipales
This collection will include census, military drafts, and other records microfilmed and digitized at municipal archives in the Castellón Province, Spain. The following records may be available for some places:
- Municipal Census (Padrón de Habitantes)
- Military Draft Registrations (Quintas)
- Passport Registers (Registros de Pasaportes)
- Town Records-Foundlings and Orphans (Expósitos y Huérfanos)
- Voting Records-Population Registrations (Censo Electoral or Censo de Población)
- Hospital Records (Registros del Hospital)
The records are in Spanish; see the section "For Help Reading these Records" for access to translation helps.
This collection is being published as images become available.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Spain, Municipal Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Spain, Province of Castellón, Municipal Records, 1732-1952.|
Census records generally include the following information:
- Nationality or place of origin
Military draft records generally include the following information:
- Name of draftees
- Age of draftees
- Parents’ name
How to Use the Record
Some record sets have images of indexes; these indexes were created at the end of the year. Copy errors could have been made in the index, so you want to find the actual record to verify the information is correct. Using the index is a helpful way to find the actual record.
See the sections below for tips and uses for searching and finding the record of your ancestor in this collection and using the information in the record.
If you are unable to find a record for your ancestor in this collection, see the corresponding section below.
Search the Collection
To search by image:
To browse the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the "City or Municipality" category
⇒ Select the "Parish" category
⇒ Select the "Record Type and Years" category which takes you to the images
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For Help Reading these Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records see the following guides:
Using the Information
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church records Spain Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family.
- Use the marital status (whether a divorce or death dissolved a marriage) to identify previous marriages.
- Witnesses often were relatives of the parents.
Tips to Keep in Mind
When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
For death records, the information in records is usually reliable, but depends upon the knowledge of the informant.
Regarding marriage and death records, name changes, shortened names, or nicknames may have been used by your ancestors, so pay attention to other relationships (parents, spouse, siblings, children, etc.) that can confirm whether you have the right person/record.
Continue to search the marriage records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the bride and groom who may have married in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
Continue to search the indexes and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have lived in the same area or a nearby area.
Unable to Find your Ancestor?
A boundary change could have occurred and the record of your ancestor is now in a neighboring province.
These provinces neighbor Castellón:
- Teruel on the west,
- Tarragona in the north, and
- Valencia in the south. The Mediterranean Sea borders the east.
Church records are also a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable.
Or your ancestor immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or immigration/emigration records.
|FHL Place Spain, Castellón items or FHL Keyword Spain, Castellón items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Spain Archives and Libraries.|
- Hispanic Genealogy Blog is written in English.
- Blog de Genealogía Hispaña Blog is written in Spanish.
- Genealogía Española-España GenWeb Website is in Spanish.
- Castellón Index
The following is a link to a research outline for Spain:
Spain Research Outline
It contains information about tracing a family through local records, a letter-writing guide for genealogical requests and their Spanish translations, Spanish and Latin word lists, a list of archives and genealogical societies, and a list of books available at the Family History Library.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Spain, Province of Castellón, Municipal Records, 1732-1952.|
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- “Spain, Castellón Province Municipal Records, 1732-1952.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2014. Citing Municipal Archives, Castellón, Spain.
- This page was last modified on 24 February 2015, at 20:45.
- This page has been accessed 1,518 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More