Spain Catholic Church DirectoriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Church directories are invaluable resources in Spanish family history. Most parish records in Spain older than 100 years old have been centralized into diocesan archives throughout the country. Each dioceses has different hours and rules for their archive, and are published in church directories and guides. Catholic Church directories usually contain the following information:
- Mailing address and telephone number for each diocesan archive (sometimes email addresses and websites)
- Brief inventory of the records their archives contain. These inventories usually describe the archives' collection in broad sections.
- Listing of each parish, and an inventory of what records they have for each parish, and when each record type (baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and burials/deaths) began for each parish.
Where to find Catholic Church directories for Spain
There are several websites (all in Spanish) that have different forms of guides or inventories of Spanish diocesan archives:
- Spanish Dioceses with addresses
- Conferencia Episcopal Española
- Censo-Guía de Archivos de España e Iberoamérica
Another Catholic Church directory source is the book Guia de los Archivos de la Iglesia Catolica en España produced by Archivo Diocesano de Barcelona under the direction of José Mª Martí Bonet.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- This page was last modified on 2 February 2015, at 21:13.
- This page has been accessed 3,635 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News