Sparsholt, Berkshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sparsholt, Berkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wantage PLU|
|Registration District||Faringdon; Wantage|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Diocese||Pre-1836 - Salisbury; Post-1835 - Oxford|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Berkshire Record Office|
SPARSHOLT (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Wantage, partly in the hundred of Shrivenham, but chiefly in that of Wantage, county of Berks, 3¾ miles (W.) from Wantage. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Sparsholt, Berkshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BERK = Berkshire Parish Records (findmypast) - (£).|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|OFHS = Oxfordshire Family History Society - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|SPARSHOLT PARISH Online Records|
- Primitive Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288804.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Berkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Sparsholt in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 156-159. Date accessed: 3 October 2013.
- ↑ 'New Berkshire parish records published on findmypast.co.uk,', findmypast, accessed 28 January 2014.
- ↑ 'Berkshire Baptisms 1538-1928,', findmypast, accessed 13 June 2014.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Berkshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 28 January 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Berkshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 4 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Berkshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 27 January 2014.
- ↑ 'OFHS Parish Records Date Finder,', Oxfordshire Family History Society, accessed 23 January 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 25 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 18 May 2015, at 20:33.
- This page has been accessed 2,017 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News