St. John's Wood SynagogueEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
St. John's Wood Synagogue Webite http://www.shulinthewood.com
St. John's Wood Synagogue was the formed in 1876. It was the first community to be formed under the newly formed United Synagogue. The first synagogue, located at the crossroads of Abbey Road and Marlborough Place, was a temporary structure housing about 250 members. The community grew very quickly and only six years later a cornerstone was laid for a larger permanent building. That building at Abbey Road opened in July of 1883. Again in 1920, the building was added on to as the community continued to grow. The current building was opened in 1964 at Grove End Road.
Records at The Family History Library
- Berger, Doreen, The Jewish Victorian: genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers, 1871-1880, (FHL book #942 F2bd 1871-1880).
- Berger, Doreen, The Jewish Victorian: genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers, 1861-1870, (FHL book #942 F2bd 1861-1870).
- Mordy, Isobel, Collection of Jewish records (FHL film #1279240-1279250).
- Pollack, Miriam, The Jewish Chronicle Project: Personal Announcements, 1900-1909, (FHL CD-ROM # 2697).
Vital Records Available Online
- www.theus.org.uk/the_united_synagogue/burial/our_cemeteries United Synagogue Burials
- www.theus.og.uk/support_services/find_your_family/marriage_records United Synagogue Marriage Authorisation Database.
- www.jgsgb.org.uk/An_1851_Study1.asp The Jewish Community in Mid 19th Century Database.
- www.jeffreymaynard.com Historical and genealogical information about the Jewish community of England.
- The Knowles Collection
Websites of Interest
- www.jgsgb.org.uk Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain
- http://www.cemeteryscribes.com/ CemeteryScribes recording inscriptions from UK Jewish Cemeteries also includes mini family trees
- Lindsay, P. The Synagogues of London, London 1993
- Renton, Peter, The Lost Synagogues of London, London 2000. (FHL book # 942.1/L1 F2r)
- www.jgsgb.org.uk The Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain
- This page was last modified on 30 March 2011, at 22:03.
- This page has been accessed 503 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More