St. John the Baptist Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to St. John the Baptist Parish Louisiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 31, 1807|
|Address|| 393 Highway 18 (River Road)|
P.O. Box 280
Edgard, Louisiana 70049
1807--St. John the Baptist Parish was created 31 March 1807 from German Coast County, Discontinued 31 Mar. 1807.
Parish seat: La Place 
See an interactive map of St. John the Baptist Parish boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|St. John the Baptist Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
- John the Baptist+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana Place-name search for these and other records in the Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see FHL Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Family History Library Catalog
- St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- History of St. John Parish
- German-Acadian Coast Historical and Genealogical Society
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., St John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "St. John the Baptist Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22095.html. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- This page was last modified on 6 August 2013, at 17:41.
- This page has been accessed 3,485 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More